Get a pay subsidy card and find a job

A pay subsidy is an economic support that a TE Office may grant an employer to cover the pay costs of an unemployed jobseeker.

  • For you the pay subsidy is an opportunity to get work for which your professional skills are not quite sufficient, or whose completion is affected by a disability or illness.

Work supported by the pay subsidy is always either normal employment or apprenticeship training. The employment can be open-ended, or fixed term, and either full time, or part time.  

  • You will be paid according to the applicable collective agreement or, if no applicable collective agreement exists, a prevalent and reasonable wage for the job in question
  • Your employer can receive pay subsidies for up to 30%, 40%, or 50% of your pay costs.

An employer can receive a pay subsidy only for the hiring of a person who is registered as an unemployed job seeker at a TE Office.

A TE Office can grant a pay subsidy for your pay costs if  

  • it helps you find employment
  • it has been agreed upon in your employment plan
  • the employer and your job meet the conditions required for the granting of a pay subsidy
  • the TE Office has the necessary funding available.

Read more about the pay subsidy

How to apply

When you have registered at a TE Office as an unemployed job-seeker or if your unemployment is ongoing and your need for service is to be re-evaluated, you can discuss your need for a pay subsidy with the TE Office.

  • The possibility for work on a pay subsidy will be added to your employment plan.
  • If you need a certificate of the possibility for a pay subsidy to show an employer to back up your job search, you can be issued a pay subsidy card. The card is valid for three months at a time.

Seek employment actively on your own:

  • Make sure that the possibility for a pay subsidy is included in your employment plan.
  • Contact interested employers and apply for available positions.  
  • Remember to mention to the employer that a pay subsidy is available for hiring you.
  • If you get a job, ask the employer to contact the TE Office or to submit a pay subsidy application well before the employment begins.
  • Your employment cannot begin before the TE Office has granted the pay subsidy to the employer.

The TE Office can also offer you work with a pay subsidy.