null Ended your military service? Do this if you don’t have a job lined up

If you do not have a job lined up straight after special circumstances such as graduation, military service or family leave, register as a jobseeker with the TE Office. This way, you can ensure your livelihood and improve your employment opportunities.

You can register as a jobseeker already in advance. Just report your first day of unemployment. If you register as a jobseeker only after becoming unemployed, your right to unemployment security begins at the earliest from the date of registration.

Register as a jobseeker

The best and fastest way is to use our E-Services with your bank access codes.

Report all your employment relationships from the last two years as well as all other employment relationships and education information relevant to your job search.

If you are unable to use our electronic services, you can register by calling the telephone service or by using a paper form.

Local TE Offices

After registering

You will receive a notification of receipt at the end of your registration. Read it carefully and follow the instructions. The notification will tell you how long your registration is valid.

If your situation requires one-on-one service, we will contact you by phone or mail within two weeks of the start of your job search. So keep your contact details up to date in the E-Services. If we assess that you do not need expert services, we will not contact you.

Once we have determined your entitlement to unemployment benefit, we will send a statement to Kela or an unemployment fund for the payment of your unemployment benefit.

Apply for unemployment security

Your registration for TE Services must be valid in order to receive unemployment benefit. Various forms of unemployment security include earnings-related allowance, basic unemployment allowance and labour market support.

When you are applying for unemployment benefit, follow the instructions provided by Kela or your unemployment fund. If you have recently graduated, you will typically receive labour market support. If you have completed vocational education and have a sufficient work history, you may receive basic unemployment allowance. An unemployment fund may also pay earnings-related daily allowance if you are a member of a fund and have sufficient employment history.

The waiting period, five working days, begins when you have started your job search. No unemployment benefit will be paid for the waiting period.

Look for employment independently

After registering as a jobseeker, you will be included when we look for suitable persons for vacancies reported to the TE Office. However, having been registered as a jobseeker is no replacement for your own active efforts to find employment. So start applying for jobs as soon as you can.

More help for jobseeking

You may need personal guidance or financial support before you can enter the job market. If it feels as though you are not making any progress, the TE Office can help. The TE Office collaborates with municipalities, Kela and different employment projects, strengthening your opportunities to find employment.

If you are under 30 and need help finding a job, or if you do not know what to do next, contact your local Guidance Centre. The Guidance Centre is a place where anyone under the age of 30 may receive help free of charge in matters relating to work, education/training or everyday life.
There are currently 45 Guidance Centres around Finland in almost 100 municipalities.