Instructions for filling out the TEM054 form
- Core terms of employment (Section 4)
- Appendices to the employee's residence permit application (TTOL)
Fill in the form carefully. If information is missing from the form, the processing of the employee's residence permit application will be delayed.
You can speed up the processing of your employee's application by using the Enter Finland service for employers.
- Using this service, you can report the key terms and conditions of the work (TEM054 electronic form) and digitally attach required information to the application.
- You can use the service to process the application if the employee submits their application in the service and permits the sharing of the application when they fill in the form.
If you cannot use the Enter Finland service, the employee can attach the employer's accounts to their application.
The TE office will send any requests for additional information to the postal and/or e-mail address indicated on the TEM054 form. Emails are sent in encrypted form.
Enter here the employee's personal information.
Enter here the name and contact information of the employer.
If the employer does not have a business ID (private employer), enter the employer's personal identity code.
Enter here the name and contact information of the client if your company does not have a place of business in Finland. The client is the company in which your employee either carries out contract/subcontract work or works as a temporary agency worker.
Core terms of employment
When you hire an employee, your company must comply with Finnish labour legislation. Where needed, the labour protection authorities will advise on matters related to employment contracts, pay, working hours, annual holidays and other terms of employment. Information on employment law and key collective labour agreements can also be obtained from your own labour market organisation.
In this field, enter the work tasks that the employee will perform for your company. If an employee has multiple tasks, enter also how the employee's working time is divided between these different tasks. Example: ‘Cleaning 50% and childcare 50%’.
Duration and nature of work
- If the employment relationship is valid until further notice, enter when the employment relationship begins.
- If the employment relationship is fixed-term, enter when the employment relationship starts and when it ends. A fixed-term employment relationship is one in which the end point of the employment relationship is stated in the employment contract.
Reason for fixed-term nature
Enter why the employment relationship is fixed-term. There must be a justified reason for making a fixed-term contract.
Regular working hours
Enter here the employee's regular working hours, i.e. the number of hours worked. Indicate the hours in the same way as specified in the collective agreement.
If the employee has a part-time job, enter the minimum number of hours you can guarantee to the employee. For 2021, an employee must receive a salary of at least EUR 1,252 per month before deductions (gross).
Indicate if there is a probationary period in the employment relationship and enter its length.
Determination of annual holiday
Indicate whether the employee's annual leave is in accordance with the collective agreement or the Annual Holidays Act. You can check the length of annual leave and other matters related to annual leave (such as the holiday bonus) in the Annual Holidays Act and the collective agreement.
Check that the indicated salary is in compliance with the relevant collective agreement. Enter the employee's salary.
Some sectors do not have a collective agreement. If there is no collective agreement, the employee must receive in 2021 a salary of at least EUR 1,252 per month before deductions (gross). Further information can be found in the E-services of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Basis for the determination of salary
Enter whether the employee's salary is paid according to working time (time rate) or piecework (piecework pay).
Enter how often the employee is paid.
Tax value of fringe benefits
Enter the tax value of fringe benefits. Fringe benefits include full board benefits or meal benefits. Fringe benefits may be included in the employee's cash salary or they may be added to the cash salary. More information can be found on the Finnish Tax Administration website.
Applicable collective agreement
Enter the official name of the collective agreement to be complied with in the employment relationship. Collective agreements can be viewed on the Finlex website.
Primary locality of the work
Enter here the primary locality where the employee does their work. If there is no primary locality, indicate all the localities where the employee works.
Period of notice or grounds for determining the period of notice
Enter here whether the employee's period of notice is determined by the collective agreement or the Employment Contracts Act. If you have agreed with the employee on a different period of notice, enter the length of the period of notice.
In the last 9 months, has the employer terminated the employment relationship of employees in the same or similar tasks for financial or production-related reasons or during a restructuring process (Employment Contract Act, chapter 6, section 6)?
Indicate if the employer has terminated, during the period specified in the Employment Contracts Act, the employment relationship of employees in the same or similar tasks for financial or production-related reasons or during a restructuring process. Under the Employment Contracts Act, the employer is obliged to take back the employee under certain conditions. Further information can be found in the E-services of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Appendices to the employee's residence permit application
The application can be processed quicker if you submit the necessary application attachments. The attachments must be in Finnish, Swedish or English. If any attachments are in another language, obtain official translations for them.
Free-form report on the recruitment of workforce
When you need an employee for your company, you must find out whether your company could find a suitable employee in Finland or in the EU/EEA.
ELY Centres have regional policies on the use of foreign labour. The policies describe the professions for which a job advertisement does not need to be opened on the TE Services website. More information can be found on the ELY Centre website.
Advertise the vacancy on the TE Services website for two weeks. The vacancy must be advertised with the same terms and conditions of employment as you state in this application.
- Once the application period has expired, please provide an explanation of how many people made contact and if you selected one of them. If you did not select any of them, explain why.
- If your company has sought an employee via the TE Services website for a similar job in the last three months, please provide an explanation of how many people contacted and if you selected one of them. If you did not select anyone, please explain why.
- If the job advertisement requires professional skills and/or training, attach the employee's qualification certificates and/or certificates of employment.
Certificate of special competence
If the position has statutory qualification requirements, attach a certificate of employee competence, such as a driver's professional qualification certificate.
Certificate of approved state of health
- Attach a certificate confirming that the employee is not infected with salmonella. A salmonella certificate is required if the employee handles unpacked foods that are served unheated.
- Attach a certificate stating that the employee does not suffer from tuberculosis. A tuberculosis certificate is required if the employee works in social welfare or health care units or provides care for children under school age.
Certificates of payment of taxes and insurance contributions
The TE Office checks the details of the company's taxes and insurance contributions from different official systems.
- If the company has overdue payments and no payment plan has been drawn up, attach a certificate stating that the overdue payments have been settled.
- If the employer does not have a business ID (private employer), attach certificates for employee (TyEL), accident and unemployment insurance which are less then three months old and which show that the employer has a valid insurance policy and that the contributions have been paid.
- Request the validity and payment certificates for TyEL and accident insurance from the insurance company and a certificate of unemployment insurance contributions from the Employment Fund.
- If the employer has overdue insurance contributions, attach a copy of the payment plan made with the insurance company or a certificate stating that the overdue contributions have been paid.
- If the employer does not yet have salaried employees, insurance and occupational health care must be arranged when the first salaried employee starts work.
Attach the employee's A1 certificate to the application. An A1 certificate is required if the employee has been sent from an EU/EEA country and is covered by social security in the country of origin.
Certificate of arrangements for statutory occupational health care
Attach to the application either a certificate issued by a occupational health care service provider regarding the arrangement of occupational health care or a valid contract covering occupational health care.
Account of the employer's financial situation
- If the company has been operating for less than a year, attach to the application an accountant's statement on the company's financial situation and whether the company is able to meet its employer obligations.
- If the company has not yet started its operations, attach the company's business plan to the application.
- If the employer does not have a business ID (private employer), attach to the application the employer's most recent payroll statement or tax decision.
- If the employee's salary is paid by the municipality, attach to the application the municipality's decision on personal assistance.
Account of work sites
- If the employee performs contract work or subcontract work, attach the piecework contract to the application. The contract must include the name and address of the work site as well as the duration of the contract and a list of the relevant work tasks.
- If the employee does temporary agency work, attach to the application the temporary agency work contract. The contract must indicate the work site and the duration of the order.
Account of part-time employees
If your company has part-time employees carrying out the same work for which you are applying for a residence permit, please attach an account of whether full-time employment has been offered to part-time employees.
An application for an employee permit extension must have attached:
The employee's payslips broken down by pay period for the whole duration of the previous residence permit. The payslips must show the name of the payer, the name of the recipient, the pay period, the pay date, basic salary, overtime pay, Sunday work and other extras, the number of hours worked, any fringe benefits, annual holiday pay, holiday bonus or annual holiday compensation, and deductions from salary.
Food hygiene proficiency certificate
If the employee has worked in tasks requiring the handling of unpacked, perishable foods for at least three months: attach to the application the employee's food hygiene proficiency certificate.
Assurance and signature
Make sure that you have the right to sign on behalf of the company. If you do not have the right to sign on behalf of the company, attach to the application a power of attorney from a person who has the right to sign.
Providing false or misleading information to the authorities is punishable as an employer's violation of the Aliens Act.
The TE Office may decide that employee residence permits will not be granted for employment or contractual relationships with employers or clients that have provided incorrect or misleading information to a public authority. Such decisions to withhold permits are set to remain in force for a maximum period of six months.
- The Government's Decision on National Guidelines on General Conditions for the Use of Foreign Labour (in Finnish, pdf)
- EnterFinland (enterfinland.fi)
- Regional State Administrative Agency (avi.fi)
- ELY Centre (ely-keskus.fi)
- Act on Posting Workers (in Finnish) (finlex.fi)
- Employee’s residence permit application (migri.fi)
- Appendix to the employee's residence permit application, TEM054 form (suomi.fi)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (tyosuojelu.fi)
- Aliens Act (in Finnish) (finlex.fi)