Unemployment security

The purpose of unemployment security is to compensate for financial losses caused by unemployment. When you are an unemployed jobseeker, unemployment security will support you financially while you are looking for work and improve your capacity for entering or getting back into the job market.

Unemployment benefits include:

  • the earnings-related unemployment allowance
  • the basic allowance
  • the labour market subsidy

Additionally, you may be entitled to a supplementary unemployment allowance or the increase for the duration if services that promote employment that are listed in your employment plan, the plan that replaces this plan.

Once you have registered with the TE Office as an unemployed jobseeker and apply for unemployment benefit, the TE Office will issue a labour policy statement on your eligibility for the benefit.

You can track your unemployment security information in E-services (in Finnish or Swedish).

In the Omat työttömyysturvatiedot (My employment security information) service, you can:

  • reply to a request for information
  • browse labour policy statements issued on you
  • see the processing status of any information you have provided.

Your activity and the condition regarding previous employment affect your unemployment benefit

You are eligible for an unemployment allowance if you meet the condition of previous employment at the time of becoming unemployed.

  • If you have been a member of an unemployment fund for a minimum of 26 weeks and, during this time, fulfilled the employment condition, the unemployment fund will pay you earnings-related allowance.
  • If you are not a member of a fund, the Social Insurance Institution (Kela) will pay you basic allowance.

The unemployment funds and Kela will verify that you meet the condition of previous employment. If you do not meet it or if you have been receiving unemployment allowance for the maximum period, Kela will pay you labour market subsidy.

The condition for previous employment includes 75% of employment, which was subsidised with a pay subsidy.

As a rule, employment security lasts a maximum of 400 days.

  • If you have an employment history of no more than three years, you will be entitled to no more than 300 days of employment security.
  • If the condition for previous employment is fulfilled when you turn 58, you are entitled to at most 500 days of employment security.

Prepare to prove your right to unemployment benefit

If you are applying for unemployment benefit, the information you provide in our online service may be enough to draw up a labour policy statement, which we will send to the unemployment fund or Kela.

If we need more information from you for this statement, we will contact you. The acknowledgement of receipt will indicate that a labour policy statement has been issued or that the TE Office will contact you for further information.  

For drawing up the labour policy statement, the TE Office may request one of the following documents:

  • your latest employment certificates or your employment contract if you are still working
  • your lay-off notice or certificate if you have been laid off
  • your school-leaving and qualification certificates
  • a certificate of resignation or interruption of studies if you have left the educational institution or interrupted your studies
  • a document showing the starting date and scope of your studies if you are still studying
  • the results of any applications for student admission if you are under the age of 25
  • proof of having completed the Finnish national military or non-military service
  • your passport or a certificate of your passport being held by the authorities, and your work and residence permits if you are an immigrant.

Please notify us of any changes

When you register as an unemployed jobseeker, your will be asked about factors that may influence your right to an unemployment benefit. As an unemployment benefit recipient your will be obligated to notify the TE Office of any changes to your status.

Please submit information on the following to the TE Office:

  • When you gain employment, when employment ends and any changes to working hours.
  • Entrepreneurial activities lasting more than 2 weeks. Work in a family-owned enterprise can also be considered entrepreneurial activity.
  • Working as something other than a wage-earner or entrepreneur e.g. a caregiver to a family member
  • The start of studies.
  • A change of citizenship or changes to your residence permit.
  • When you choose to discontinue participating in a service that promotes employment. Please only notify your own unemployment fund or Kela of singular absences in your daily allowance and labour market subsidy application.

The above list includes the most typical changes that the TE Office must be notified of. If you are uncertain about how a change might affect your rights to an unemployment benefit, please contact your TE Office or the telephone service for personal customers.

The TE Office will provide more information on how to submit information on the start and conclusion of employment for those people who e.g. take on temporary work on a regular basis. The TE Office also provides further instructions when the jobseeker is drafting an employment plan and when they have been offered a job.

Instructions for customers in local government pilots on employment 

If you are a customer of a local government pilot on employment, your municipality of residence issues a labour policy statement to the payer of the unemployment benefit if it is part of the municipality's duties under the act on local government pilot on employments. If necessary, the municipality may also submit a request for clarification, which you can easily answer in E-services. 

Jobseekers’ services during the local government pilots

Your Europe logo

This website is part of the European Commission's Your Europe portal. Did you find what you were looking for? Give feedback! (europa.eu)