Unemployment benefit – who is it for and under what conditions

Requirements for entitlement to unemployment benefit

To qualify for unemployment benefits you must

  • have registered as an unemployed jobseeker  
  • have a valid job search  
  • be looking for a full-time job.

If you work part-time and want to apply for adjusted unemployment benefit you have to be looking for a full-time job. If you are on partial disability pension, you are entitled to unemployment benefits even if you are not looking for full-time work.

Receiving unemployment benefit implies certain obligations. This means that you are required to

  • accept work, education or training offered to you
  • participate in services that promote employment.

Make sure you retain your right to unemployment benefits:

  • your job search is valid
  • keep your contact details up to date
  • follow the instructions in the E-Services or instructions from TE Office employees
  • participate in jobseeker interviews and help prepare and review your employment plan
  • follow your employment plan as agreed
  • respond to the TE Office when they contact you

You cannot receive unemployment benefits if you are in military or non-military service or in the hospital. The party paying the unemployment benefit decides on the payment of the unemployment benefit.

While travelling abroad, you can receive unemployment benefits if

  • you can be contacted by the TE Office
  • you participate in the services as agreed
  • you accept the work offered without delay.

To receive unemployment benefits, you may need to live in Finland. This matter is investigated and determined by the party paying the unemployment benefit.

Please notify us of any changes

When you register as an unemployed jobseeker, your will be asked about factors that may influence your right to an unemployment benefit. As an unemployment benefit recipient your will be obligated to notify the TE Office of any changes to your status.

Please notify the TE Office on the following:

  • start of employment, termination of employment and any changes to your working hours
  • entrepreneurial activities lasting more than 2 weeks. Work in a family-owned enterprise can also be considered entrepreneurial activity.
  • other type of employment than that of a salary earner or entrepreneur, such as working as a caregiver to a family member
  • start of studies
  • change of citizenship or changes to your residence permit
  • if you choose to discontinue participating in a service that promotes employment. Please only notify your own unemployment fund or Kela of singular absences in your daily allowance and labour market subsidy application.

The list above includes the most typical changes that the TE Office must be notified of. If you are not sure about how a change might affect your right to unemployment benefits, please contact your local TE Office or the telephone service for personal customers.

The TE Office will provide more information on how to submit information on the start and conclusion of employment for those people who e.g. take on temporary work on a regular basis.  

Contact details

Instructions for customers in local government pilots on employment 

If you are a customer of a local government pilot on employment, notify your municipality of residence  and if necessary, the TE Office, of any changes.

Jobseekers’ services during the local government pilots

Your Europe logo

This website is part of the European Commission's Your Europe portal. Did you find what you were looking for? Give feedback! (europa.eu)