Unemployment security for foreigners

Unemployed jobseekers who have been granted a residence permit under the Aliens Act are paid labour market subsidy under the same conditions as other jobseekers, or basic unemployment allowance if the work requirement is met.

The TE Office will investigate whether you can be considered an unemployed jobseeker and whether you are entitled to receive unemployment benefits. There are, therefore, other prerequisites for receiving benefits than those mentioned here, such as possible studies and entrepreneurship.

To be entitled to receive unemployment benefits, you must, for example, be a permanent resident in Finland and register with the TE Office as an unemployed jobseeker. In addition, receiving support is influenced by possible studies and entrepreneurship.

To register as a jobseeker you must belong to one of the following categories:

  • Citizens of the EU and EEA countries and citizens of Switzerland
  • Family members of the citizens of the EU and EEA countries even if they are not citizens of the EU or EEA countries or Switzerland after they have completed the registration of the right of residence
  • Citizens of other countries and those without a citizenship who have the right for paid employment based on the residence permit granted to them, unless there are restrictions in the residence permit regarding employer.

If you fulfill the condition for previous employment at the time you become unemployed, you may be entitled to unemployment allowance. Unemployment funds and Kela will check that the condition regarding previous employment is fulfilled. If it is not fulfilled or if you have received unemployment allowance for the maximum period, that is, for 500 days, Kela will pay you labour market subsidy.

To receive labour market subsidy, you must have the right for paid employment in Finland based on other than a temporary residence permit.

To get unemployment benefit, it is required that you live in Finland. This will be clarified and decided by the payer of the unemployment benefit.

Instructions for customers in local government pilots on employment 

If you have been a customer of the local government pilot on employment and your job search has been interrupted, you can contact your municipality of residence or the TE Office. Experts in both can assess whether you can re-register as a jobseeker. 

Jobseekers’ services during the local government pilots 

Your Europe logo

This website is part of the European Commission's Your Europe portal. Did you find what you were looking for? Give feedback! (europa.eu)