Sharp increase in the number of unemployed jobseekers in March
- A total of 309,100 unemployed jobseekers were registered at the Employment and Economic Development Offices at the end of March, showing a year-on-year increase of 70,700. The number of unemployed jobseekers increased by 60,900 from the previous month. The rapid increase in the number of unemployed jobseekers and particularly in the number of full-time lay-offs was due to restrictions caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
- At the end of March, the number of people laid off was 74,000 in the whole country; a year-on-year increase of 53,200. The number of people fully laid off totalled 65,300, representing an increase of 50,400 from March the year before.
- The number of long-term unemployed amounted to 64,900, up 1,200 on the previous year.
- The number of unemployed jobseekers aged under 25 was 41,100, representing an increase of 11,600 from March last year.
Decrease in number of new vacancies
- The number of new vacancies reported to Employment and Economic Development Offices during March totalled 63,500; down 9,900 from March a year earlier. In all, the number of unfilled vacancies at Employment and Economic Development Offices in March amounted to 149,900, showing a decrease of 18,600 from last year.
- At the end of March, the number of persons covered by services included in the activation rate amounted to 119,200, down 10,700 on the previous year. These services include pay subsidies, labour market training, work trials and self-motivated studies.
Unemployment rate 7.3%
- The employment rate was 71.3%, which was 0.5 percentage points lower than in March the year before.
- The unemployment rate was 7.3%, or 0.3 percentage points higher than the previous year.
In March, 309,100 unemployed jobseekers, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment 23.4.2020, (temtyollisyyskatsaus.fi)