Unemployment security for foreigners

Pursuant to the Aliens Act, unemployed jobseekers who have received a residence permit will be paid integration assistance for a period of at most three years.

To receive benefits, it is required that you live permanently in Finland and register with the TE Office as an unemployed jobseeker. To register as a jobseeker you must belong to one of the following categories:

  • Citizens of the EU and EEA countries and citizens of Switzerland
  • Family members of the citizens of the EU and EEA countries even if they are not citizens of the EU or EEA countries or Switzerland
  • Citizens of other countries and those without a citizenship who have the right for paid employment based on the residence permit granted to them, unless there are restrictions in the residence permit regarding employer.

If you fulfill the condition for previous employment at the time you become unemployed, you may be entitled to unemployment allowance. Unemployment funds and Kela will check that the condition regarding previous employment is fulfilled. If it is not fulfilled or if you have received unemployment allowance for the maximum period, that is, for 500 days, Kela will pay you labour market subsidy.

To receive labour market subsidy, you must have the right for paid employment in Finland based on other than a temporary residence permit.

To get unemployment benefit, it is required that you live in Finland. This will be clarified and decided by the payer of the unemployment benefit.